Congressional Affairs & Grassroots Specialist
American Physical Therapy Association
The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) is an individual membership professional organization representing more than 95,000 member physical therapists (PTs), physical therapist assistants (PTAs), and students of physical therapy. APTA seeks to improve the health and quality of life of individuals in society by advancing physical therapist practice, education, and research, and by increasing the awareness and understanding of physical therapy's role in the nation's health care system.
This position leads, manages and provides strategic direction to the grassroots and assists with congressional and political affairs on issues relating to congressional, grassroots and political affairs and efforts to implement the Association’s public policy priorities. Responsible for leading member education and engagement on grassroots and policy issues. Primary staff liaison to key contacts, federal affairs liaisons, and PTeam. Acts as a representative of the Association in lobbying, member relations, strategic alliances, and policy development initiatives to advance physical therapy. Provides member service, outreach, and education on government affairs and public policy issues. Assists with budgeting and daily operations related to grassroots. Assists Director of Congressional Affairs in administrative activities associated with APTA’s political action committee.
Primary contact on grassroots with members and external customers
Association representative to Public Affairs Council, national party organizations, and association/industry contacts in grassroots
Provides member outreach, education and service in grassroots and political affairs, (presentations, resource materials, member inquiries).
Manages the annual Federal Government Affairs Forum
Develops and produces resources and tools for member to understand and contribute to APTA’s grassroots program and public policy agenda
Consults with APTA Board and Senior Staff on initiatives related to strategic initiatives with grassroots, member education and engagement, and policy issues
Attends and represents APTA at hearings and briefings on Capitol Hill pertaining to the Association's policy interests
Represents the Association at political and campaign events
- 4+ years’ experience in political affairs and grassroots or acquired experience in formulating and advancing federal legislative and regulatory policy
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent related experience
- Knowledge and experience in federal election laws and compliance, communication and volunteer management experience, and grassroots programming preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong computer/database experience required
- Strong presentation/public speaking and professional writing skills
- Ability to represent Association and present to a variety of external audiences and stakeholders.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org