Director of Media and Public Affairs
Portland Cement Association
The Portland Cement Association (PCA), founded in 1916, is the premier policy, research, education and market intelligence organization serving America’s cement manufacturers. PCA members represent 92 percent of U.S. cement production capacity and have facilities in all 50 states. The Association promotes safety, sustainability, and innovation in all aspects of construction, fosters continuous improvement in cement manufacturing and distribution, and generally promotes economic growth and sound infrastructure investment.
The Director of Media and Public Affairs will support the VP of Communications in developing and implementing multi-channel media and public affairs strategies, to build awareness of issues and events. In addition to helping manage day-to-day media relations, this person will write and edit newsletters, press releases, handle media calls, create and maintain press lists, maximize the use of social media and perform other related functions to advance the goals of the PCA membership. This person also will support the communications team by understanding new and emerging technology and best practices to continuously improve communication effectiveness.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Energetic self-starter with at least six years’ work experience in media relations, preferably on Capitol Hill or in a D.C.-based trade association, political campaign, PR firm, or other policy-intensive environment.
- Exceptional writing and grammatical skills (following AP style), a knack for grasping and pitching news, a relentless ability to research and track down information and a talent for translating complex issues for clear and compelling deliverables.
- A strong interest in public affairs, policy issues (preferably in transportation or infrastructure) and advocacy campaigns.
- Must work well on a team, effectively prioritize and track tasks for both his/her self as well as the communications team, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Must have a keen understanding and constant desire to stay current on the latest effective communications tools used for issue advocacy.
- Day-to-day media relations, including handling select media calls, triaging incoming media calls for direction to appropriate internal spokespeople and subject matter experts, and researching information for responding to the media.
- Write press releases, newsletters, letters to the editor and op-eds.
- Provide and manage press/social media monitoring.
- Maintain and update media contact lists and files.
- Help organize and pitch press briefings and media events.
- Support execution, monitoring and measuring social media activity, such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and other digital communication channels.
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or public policy desired.
• Candidates will be given a writing test.
Portland Cement Association offers an excellent comprehensive employee benefits package which includes the following:
- Choice of PPO or HSA Medical Insurance Plan
- Dental Insurance Plan
- Health Care & Dependent Care
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Vacation & Personal Days
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Dependent Life Insurance
- 401(k) with 100 Percent Immediate Vesting on Company Match