Director, Policy & Government Affairs
Small Business Majority.org
Celebrating our 11th anniversary, Small Business Majority is a small business advocacy organization founded and run by small business owners to focus on solving the biggest problems facing small businesses today. Since 2005, we have actively engaged small business owners and policymakers in support of public policy solutions, and have delivered information and resources to entrepreneurs that promote small business growth and drive a strong, sustainable economy. We regularly engage our network of more than 50,000 small business owners and thousands of business organizations, along with a formal strategic partnership program of more than 150 business organizations, enabling us to reach more than 500,000 entrepreneurs. Our extensive scientific polling, focus groups and economic research help us educate and inform policymakers, the media and other stakeholders about issues including taxes, healthcare, access to capital, immigration, entrepreneurship and workforce development. (www.smallbusinessmajority.org)
The Director of Policy & Government Affairs oversees Small Business Majority’s policy & government affairs efforts, working in collaboration with the Founder & CEO and the organization’s Communications team. The Director of Policy & Government Affairs manages implementation of the organization’s overall policy goals, oversees national issue campaigns, and works with the organization’s state Outreach team to plan and implement state issue campaigns. The Director is also responsible for building and managing relationships with federal government entities and national business and advocacy groups to further Small Business Majority’s mission. Finally, the Director actively participates in fundraising for the organization’s policy and government affairs work.
This position reports to the Founder & CEO and is located in Washington, DC.
Policy Development & Strategy
The Director of Policy & Government Affairs directs the organization’s overall policy goals and strategy, working in collaboration with the Founder & CEO and the organization’s Planning Group comprised of senior management, of which the Director is a member. Current organization policy priorities are: healthcare; taxes, economic development and infrastructure; access to capital/responsible lending; retirement security; minimum wage; paid leave; and non-discrimination.
Issue Campaign Management
The Director of Policy & Government Affairs oversees the organization’s national issue campaigns and projects. The Director is responsible for developing and implementing issue campaigns, participating in fundraising to support those campaigns and engaging with key external stakeholders including: government, business organizations and issue advocacy groups. Current principal national issue campaigns are: healthcare; tax policy; and access to capital/responsible lending, with some involvement in other issues affecting America’s small businesses. The Director also works hand-in-hand with the organization’s Communications team to implement all national issue campaigns.
National Government Relations
- Build and retain relationships with the administration including the White House and key federal agencies (e.g. Small Business Administration, National Economic Council, Treasury Department, Department of Commerce, and Department of Health & Human Services).
- Build and maintain relationships with key offices on Capitol Hill, including members, leadership offices and relevant committees.
- Build relationships and engagement strategies with key government officials for each priority campaign.
- Ensure that policymakers are aware of the organization’s work and activities, particularly in their states.
National Partnership Development
- Build and manage relationships with other business organizations and explore new relationships to work together on common policy solutions.
- Engage with with all national coalitions in priority issue areas, ensuring the organization is plugged into all relevant coalition partner activity.
- Ensure that the organization’s state work is communicated to and integrated with that of the national coalitions.
- Help grow and build programming for the the organization’s Strategic Partner Program – a network of national, state and local business organizations.
Coordination with State Outreach Work
- Support the organization’s state Outreach team in its work to create and implement state policy campaigns.
- Work closely with the Outreach team to communicate what is happening at the national level and to ensure consistency across the organization’s national and state policy efforts.
- Actively participate in national fundraising for the organization’s policy work, including fundraising strategy, input into proposals and interaction with key funders and partners, particularly those located in Washington, DC
The candidate must have:
- 5+ years experience working on public policy and/or government affairs (business/economic issues preferred)
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and expanding stakeholder relationships
- Strong interest in business, public policy, and their intersection
- Passion for the organization’s mission
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement a strategic plan
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- A strong entrepreneurial/resourceful spirit
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing priorities
- Ability to work independently, but also be a team player who will engage with others at varying levels in the organization
- The ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Strong organizational and time management skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Availability for travel. While most of the work will be in Washington, DC, there is a need for some national travel
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.