International Association for Volunteer
The International Association for Volunteer Effort (IAVE) works to achieve a global culture of volunteering that is recognized as vital to creating a fair, peaceful, sustainable and compassionate world. IAVE’s mission is to enable leaders of volunteering worldwide to stand in solidarity with one another to promote, support, and celebrate volunteering in all of the many ways it happens throughout the world. In order to achieve our mission, IAVE engages in advocacy, conducts and disseminates research, develops and mobilizes networks such as the Global Corporate Volunteer Council and Global Network of National Volunteer Centers, and convenes leaders in volunteering.
IAVE was founded in 1970 by volunteers from throughout the world, and today, volunteers continue to set our strategic direction and guide the organization’s work. IAVE is led by an international all-volunteer Board of Directors and operates with a Leadership Network that includes elected representatives from every major region and volunteer National Representatives in 77 countries. IAVE is supported by a small professional Secretariat team, currently based across three countries, including the United States (Washington, DC and New Jersey). We are committed to principles of diversity, inclusion, partnership, impact, and peace and development. To learn more about IAVE and our strategic direction, please visit www.iave.org.
IAVE is seeking a mission-driven Executive Director who will play a key role in ensuring that the organization’s sustainability and its success in achieving its strategic goals. Reporting to and working in collaboration with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will build and manage relationships in support of IAVE’s programmatic and fund development goals and oversee all aspects of operational administration. Leading across a diverse range of constituencies, the Executive Director will also empower and support IAVE’s members, networks, and Secretariat team to work toward the achievement of IAVE’s vision.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic and strategic leader to work with IAVE’s leaders, members, and partners around the world in order to advance the role of volunteering.
- Drive the organization toward the successful realization of its Strategic Direction, engaging all stakeholders effectively in order to achieve ambitious results
- Partner with the Board of Directors in implementing organizational strategies; ensure the Board is equipped with appropriate training and support as needed
- Serve as the organizational lead on all aspects of fund development and key external representative for IAVE, identifying and cultivating strategic relationships in support of the organization’s programmatic and fundraising goals
- Collaborate with the Secretariat team to ensure IAVE’s convenings and research, advocacy, and network development activities are of the highest quality and correspond to the strategic direction and IAVE’s values
- Build and manage a skilled and effective Secretariat team, with responsibility for hiring, training, and supervising team members
- Oversee IAVE’s financial and organizational management functions
- At least 5 years of leadership experience at the organizational, departmental, or program level
- Experience in a nonprofit or NGO setting, or experience in other relevant fields such as corporate social responsibility or social benefit corporations
- Strong strategic thinking skills, with the demonstrated ability to guide an organization from planning into successful implementation
- Demonstrated global perspective and the ability to work effectively across a diverse, international range of stakeholders; prior experience in international organizations considered a plus
- Prior success in external-facing roles, with experience cultivating and securing funding and/or programmatic partnerships
- Effective team leader, with a track record of success in mobilizing decentralized teams of staff, volunteers, or other stakeholders to achieve goals
- Ability to balance strategic and tactical responsibilities, delegating or playing a hands-on role depending on what a particular situation requires
- Positive and proactive approach, with the ability to take initiative and self-direct without compromising collaboration or stakeholder engagement
- Fluency (verbal and written) in a language other than English strongly preferred
- Must be eligible to work in the United States and able to travel internationally on a regular basis
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to the Search Committee at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1600000kNWLd&tSource=. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
IAVE offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
IAVE is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
IAVE has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for an Executive Director. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.