On-Camera Multimedia Journalist
Gray Television, Inc.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in more than 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
About the Gray Television Washington News Bureau
The Gray Television Washington News Bureau's focus is hyper-local coverage of Washington news for our TV stations. We work closely with the stations to report on issues directly affecting viewers in their markets. Our primary job is to speak with senators and congressmen about local and national issues and to hold them accountable. Our team has built strong contacts with these lawmakers. Members of Congress know when they talk to Gray Television reporters, they have a direct line of communication with their constituents. We also provide our stations coverage of local people who visit Washington — whether it’s a businessperson testifying at a congressional hearing or a local veteran coming to visit our national memorials.
Gray Television is looking for a journalist in its Washington, DC bureau to find, research, and report on stories and events of interest to the local communities served by Gray’s stations. The position requires a self-starter who can and will work directly with station news directors to make national stories locally relevant. The individual must have a working knowledge and interest in Capitol Hill, politics and campaigns. The individual must work well with and maintain communication with Capitol Hill lawmakers and staff. The position requires a true team player, who also has the drive to work solo and can be trusted alone on assignment. The individual is also expected to assist the Bureau Chief in maintaining the smooth operations of the Bureau and its interactions with the group’s local stations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following
· Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
· Use editorial judgment to help determine content of news product
· Work with team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
· Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
· Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
· Write for the web, and post daily on all digital platforms, including social media. This includes attaching images and streaming video.
· Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
· Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
· Collaborates with management in the development of broadcast content such as newscasts, promotions and teases
· Receives assignments or evaluates leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
· Excellent video editor
Required Skills & Experience:
· 3 years experience in a commercial newsroom preferred
· BS/BA in journalism or communications
· Ability to shoot, write and edit your own stories
· Experience with posting stories to social media
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Computer literacy
· Schedule flexibility
· A valid driver`s license and a good driving record
· Willingness and ability to travel to local markets and for stories
Click on Apply to apply now.
*A link to candidate’s reel is required and should be included in the application
*Gray Television is an equal opportunity employer that maintains a drug free work place.